Crust Club Founder. Food Lover. Recipe Creator.
We made a family bucket list this year and one of the first things my daughter wanted to add to the list was making these cookies. It made me so happy! These are the cookies I loved most growing up during Christmas. My mom made them every year and it wouldn't be Christmas to me without them.
Now while I don't make them as good as my mom does, I love passing on the tradition down to my daughter. We turn on Christmas music while we make them and then wait, somewhat patiently, while they bake so that we can eat them warm out of the oven!
Chocolate Filled Christmas Bon Bons
- ¼ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- about 3 dozen Hershey chocolate kisses
- red and green sprinkles, or sprinkles of choice
1. Unwrap and snap off the tops of the Hershey chocolate kisses. Set aside.
2. Cream shortening and sugars together until fluffy.
3. Add egg, vanilla and almond extract. Beat well.
4. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until blended.
5. Dough will probably be a little dry and crumbly. Add a few teaspoons, or up to 2 Tablespoons of water. Mix until just combined. Dough will still be a little dry but will hold together when formed into a ball. Dough should NOT be sticky, do not add too much water. (watch video for visual instruction).
6. Scoop dough out into ¾ of a Tablespoon size balls. Press dough around each Hershey chocolate kiss, covering the kiss completely. Shape cookie into a little dome, that is flat on the bottom.
7. Dip top of cookies into sprinkles and place on cookie sheet.
8. Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. Cookies should be white, not golden or browned.
9. Remove from oven and remove cookies from cookie sheet right away to prevent browning more on the bottoms.
10. Store in an airtight container.