Crust Club Founder. Food Lover. Recipe Creator.
This recipe is a tribute to Tyler's best friend's mom. When Tyler and I were newlyweds, Cathy invited us into her home and shared this recipe with us. I was a little reluctant to try it because I am not a fan of egg nog, but right after I tasted it I knew it was just as amazing as she is. Making this egg nog each Christmas is such a special tradition for me.
This homemade recipe is nothing like the store bought version. Egg nog from the store is really thick and heavy. This recipe is so light and flavorful and really easy to make. So turn on some Christmas music, grab some cookies, and make this recipe and drink it all Christmas week long!
Cathy's Amazing Egg Nog
4 eggs, separated
⅔ plus 6 Tablespoons sugar, divided
½ teaspoon salt
8 cups milk
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Separate eggs. Put egg whites in a bowl and place in refrigerator to use later.
2. Combine egg yolks and ⅔ cup sugar in a large pot and whisk together until well combined.
3. Stir in salt and milk.
4. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking every minute or so, until scalded (just before boiling).
5. Remove from heat and cool completely in refrigerator. You can transfer it to another bowl to help it cool faster.
6. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
7. Add nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and 6 Tablespoons sugar and mix until combined.
8. Fold egg white mixture into cooled milk until blended.
9. Stir in heavy whipping cream.
10. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Stir together well just before serving.